Wanting some easeful, soothing, nurturing creative time with little cleanup? Here’s an activity for you called ‘Harmonizing Narratives’.
A selection of instrumental music (choose pieces that evoke different moods and emotions)
Paper or journal
Writing tools (pens, pencils, or markers)
1. Find a quiet and comfy space where you can focus on the exercise. Set the vibe, light candles, and create a cozy environment that invites relaxation.
2. Select a piece of instrumental music that resonates with you. It could be a classical composition, a soothing melody, or any instrumental track that evokes a particular emotion or mood. Try using different pieces of music for each stage of the exercise to explore different emotional landscapes.
3. Start by sitting or lying down in a relaxed position. Close your eyes and take a few deep breaths, allowing your body and mind to settle. Begin playing the chosen piece of music. As you listen, focus your attention on the sounds, rhythms, and melodies. Let the music wash over you, immersing yourself in its vibrations and allowing it to touch you, bring images, or emotions within you. If this piece of music were showing you a scene or telling you a story, what would it be?
4. When the music ends, open your eyes and take a moment to reflect on the emotions and imagery that came up. Now, start writing a short story or narrative inspired by the music. Let your imagination wander as you explore characters, settings, and events. Allow the music to guide your storytelling, infusing the narrative with the same emotions and moods it elicited within you.
5. Once you've finished writing, read through your story and take a moment to reflect on the connections between the music and your narrative. How did the music shape the direction of your storytelling? What themes, emotions, or insights emerged through this creative process? Think about the symbolic resonance and personal significance of your story.
6. Do it again, as many times as you’d like. Let your creativity flow freely, allowing the music and your narrative to guide your artistic expression.
7. This activity is also fun in pairs or groups. It’s always interesting to see how different people interpret the same piece of art. Share your stories with a friend. Discuss the connections between the music, narrative, and visuals, and explore the insights and discoveries that came up through this exercise.
By attuning to the nuances of instrumental music and weaving narratives inspired by its melodies, we tap into our creative depths and gain new insights into our inner world. Keep an open mind and heart, allowing the music to guide your storytelling and artistic expression.